Sunday, August 19, 2007

Differences in cooking here and there

My grandmother, who has had experience living abroad has given me some excellent advice that I am going to pass on here.

As far as the metric system goes one kilogram is a smidgen over 2.2 pounds, but according to my grandmother, most of the time it is close enough to say that one kilo is about two pounds and half a kilo (500 grams) is about one pound.

She also recommended that I take measuring cups, measuring spoons and a cookbook or two with me since I am accustomed to cooking with American measurements. Fortunately, this same grandmother has also given me an excellent cookbook that focuses on recipes in portions for one or two people. I'll probably use that supplemented with some other recipes typed into my computer (someday I might count how many books I am not taking with me because of my computer and the Internet).

Some people might think that if you are going to live in a new country you should just immerse yourself in the whole experience including the food. I think I am going to prioritize. Learning German and how to interact with Germans = high priority. Learning how to cook German foods, not so much. It will be a nice thing to do, and eventually I will probably purchase metric measuring cups and a German cookbook but for the present, the foods that I am comfortable with appear to be fairly inexpensive and it will be one less thing to worry about while I am settling in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that I can be of some help to you. You may find it easy to immerse yourself in German culture, but you will always be an American. There are things that you should never get involved in, like politics, etc.
Granny