Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Trying to work out a budget: Groceries

I like to know what I'm getting into with just about everything, so I've been trying to set up a budget based on my projected salary.

I have been using German websites to get a rough idea of how much my personal staples will cost. The sites that have been most useful in this are: aldi-sued.de/index.htm and www.real.de. Both sell things besides groceries, giving me the impression that they might be a bit like a SuperTarget or Wal-mart in the United States, but having never been there I can't say for sure.

What I've learned so far is that food in Frankfurt does look a bit more expensive than is typical in Wisconsin, but most of it is organic which is a plus, I've been meaning to go more organic with my food anyways. I haven't noticed a whole lot of frozen food, which I think is due to the fact that from the pictures I've seen, German refrigerators are really small and don't have a lot of freezer room.

I also find that one of the standard measurements for food containers is 100 grams, which isn't as much as it sounds. At first I was assuming that this would be about a cup or maybe even two. It isn't. Once I looked up the conversion online I discovered that instead this is more like 3.38 ounces otherwise known as less than half a cup (to be more exact it's something like .42 cup, using the U.S. measure).

No comments: