Saturday, April 5, 2008

General Conference and Church in General in Frankfurt

This is for my LDS friends who asked how we handle General Conference here in Germany. I cannot say definitely how everyone does it, but the schedule for my ward is as follows:

Saturday:
Watch/listen to the Saturday Morning session live at 6pm (10 am Mountain time). You can go to the church building or do this over the Internet.

Sunday:

The Priesthood and General Young Women sessions begin at 11 am (both recordings, only at the church)
The recording of theSaturday Afternoon session at the church at 2pm
The Sunday Morning session live at 6pm.

I don't know what we do about the Sunday Afternoon session. As it starts at 10pm Frankfurt time and ends at midnight, I do not think I will be listening to it live. I did listen to the Saturday morning session live and was very pleased to hear Frankfurt mentioned several times.

For more church related information, the building that I attend church in contains 3 wards - two German speaking and one English speaking. I attend the English speaking ward which is part of an English speaking stake, primarily for embassy employees and members of the military and their families (the word military is in our stake's name) but open to whomever.

Another cool thing about the Church in Frankfurt is that the church building is on the same plot of land as the Church's European headquarters, which means a fair number of my fellow ward members are employed by the church in various capacities and we have lots of senior missionary couples in our ward. I have been told that our congregation is also a semi-frequent stopping point for visiting General Authorities. I have not yet experienced that, but can say that having lots of Church employees in the ward has resulted in some of the most fascinating Sunday School lessons I have ever attended.

No comments: