Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Rejoining the 21st Century

Yes, only five weeks and two visits by company technicians after signing the contract with Vodafone I am enjoying the luxury of having internet and telephone service in my home. I do not know why this took so long or what the purpose of the second technicians visit was (besides the fact that after his visit yesterday I had phone and internet service) but I am grateful it did not take the four months that another expat waited back in 2007.

Overall I am pleased with my telecom package, which comes to just under 30 euros a month and includes DSL and unlimited calls to U.S. land lines (and to land lines in 12 or 13 other countries, but to be perfectly honest, I can't imagine myself calling the Vatican any time in the near future). The U.S. calls was an extra 5 euros and after I asked about it the salesman tried to pitch another package that would have added a bunch of other countries (mostly in Africa and Asia if I recall correctly) for something like 14 euros a month but I don't know anyone in those countries either (the salesman assured me that if this changes I can upgrade my telecom package whenever I wish).

3 comments:

Susan said...

It is amazing what becomes a luxury when we have to do without it for awhile. I am glad you have phone and Internet now. I am looking forward to more posts now.

Did you mean to put the "z" at the end of century?

Melissa said...

Yes it is, like the ability to boil water. The "z" was unintentional, though its something I do on both my work computer and my home computer now.

McKenna said...

Do you have a German keyboard, cause that would explain the Z problem.

Willcommen zu Deutschland, the land where it takes FOREVER to get internet!