Friday, April 4, 2008

On site seeing last weekend

Yes, I finally did some real site seeing with some new friends. Didn't make it to the Goethe Museum, but we did check out the Frankfurt Cathedral which is absolutely beautiful inside, you can't see much of the outside right now because it is being renovated. What I did get to see were some post-WWII pictures that showed the cathedral standing alone amongst rubble and bombed out buildings.

We then went to the Frankfurt Museum of Modern Art, which I didn't really care for as my opinions of what makes good art and the museum directors' opinions are very different.

The final site I"m going to mention is the Main Tower. Very tall and with a great view of the city. Rather than explain I will show:




The Main River. In the second picture you can see the Frankfurt Cathedral coming up from its scaffolding near the center. On the bottom center you can see St. Pauls Kirche which was the birthplace of democracy in Germany back in 1848 (that particular democracy ended in 1849).

The tower in this picture is a TV antenna in the north of Frankfurt, I was disappointed that that was all it was because I think it looks pretty neat.



A picture of the Zeil, Frankfurt's main shopping district. The large building on the center of the left hand side is Galleria Kaufhof, a rather large department store. The top floor has a cafeteria style restaurant that serves a diabetic cake with an absolutely wonderful strawberry topping.

The street where I had my German lessons, 8 hours a day, five days a week in the top floor of the white building near the center of the photo. Goethe's birthplace is on the diagonal running street behind it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
McKenna said...

It seems as though we'll have to set another date for the Goethe Museum, as well as a much better art museum.