Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Mein Deutsch

When talking about the German language in German, which was something we did a lot in my 3 week language course, one of my biggest problems was that I always wanted to say "Deutsche" instead of "Deutsch" and apparently "die Deutsche" ("die" is pronounced "dee") are the German people as a whole, not the German language. I think this problem came about through my confusion about when you put -e on the end of a word (I know the rules, its knowing when they apply that is difficult) and the fact that I had been attempting to read something that I honestly thought was using "Deutsche" for the language.


Right now my German is very limited, but I can usually get by. I have found that I do better with materials aimed at children, including my Disney movies (I am considering getting a few more to add some variety to my viewing choices). I can talk about basic things if others use short sentences and simple words and if it doesn't go on to long. My total German immersion endurance is somewhere between two and four hours (listening) after which my brain rebels and my German skills start going downhill really fast. Where in the spectrum I will be depends on things like how complex the German is, how much of it I can understand immediately v. how much I have to pick together what I think the person means, how tired I am, etc.

1 comment:

McKenna said...

Diddo! I get you here.